Saturday, June 12, 2010

Recycling

I'm a grumpy 52 year old, who has bought Tubular Bells three, maybe four, times in this lifetime, bought Titanic twice and will not be following the ship to the bottom one more time in blu-ray or whatever derivative, requiring bi-colored glasses that rises from the industry.

What's my point?, well, I'll refer back to Tubular Bells which, back in 1973 was an amazing album and, as with all our stereo or quadrophonic vinyl, was very analog. It was digitally remastered by Virgin (not by Mike Oldfield) and I considered that it would be worth the cost of the CD. In 2003 Mike Oldfield created his digital version and in 2009, when the original tapes were released back to him, he created a new stereo mix from the original.

In the last few days, I've listened (on my Axim) to the first, grabbed via a USB turntable and the last and I'm wondering why I spent all that extra money, the only difference being a slight hiss and a few crackles and pops and to my creaking ears I realise that the money would have been better spent on wine.