Sunday, June 20, 2010

Château de Chasselas

I think I'm becoming quite bored with the old interweb, although slick and sometimes not so slick websites are trying their darndest to interest me with embedded advertising.

I heard that Facebook hit $800 million in revenue in 2009, meaning that the social sites are having quite an impact on my subliminal thoughts, the trouble with that is my "liminal" thoughts are not really being tickled any more by what I see on the bazillions of pages out here in the wild, wild, interweb.

Although, a bazillion is a bit of an exaggeration as I only really click on about half a dozen news sites, one or two social sites and a few select forums. Add gmail into it and the online sessions become quite predictable and automated, cruising the usual and shutting down the computer with a sense of boredom and an odd desire to buy a Lexus.

The Monty Python four Yorkeshiremen sketch comes to mind as I think back about the beginnings of my own web experience, the dial-up Q-Link on my Commodore 64 with a 1200 baud modem (that be four times as fast as a 300 baud) - "Luxury!" and "You were Lucky" as the only source for my online (and expensive) sessions was an ascii frontpage directing me towards handy tidbits of ascii wonderment and the occasional clumsy advert in three colors.

"I used to dream about having three colors!"

You would think that because we have come so far from the early dial up and bbs days that things would be more interesting, yet, as the internet has gravitated to just another media source (with a monthly mortgage) the desire to have something more in the wild-west frontier style, something new, is rekindled.

I wonder about the new ones, the children who have now grown up with the internet as a way of life and not something that "arrived" when they were in their second or third decade, what will be the excitement in their lives that will be eventually taken away as the paint dries?